Chatham University

Fact Book: General Information & Administration

University Mission Statement

Chatham University prepares women and men to be world ready: to build lives of purpose and value and fulfilling work.

In addition to appropriate professional skills and liberal arts learning, Chatham believes that world readiness means being an informed and engaged citizen in one's communities; recognizing and respecting diversity of culture, identity and opinion; and living sustainably on the planet.

Accreditation

The University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, the American Chemical Society, the American Physical Therapy Association, the Council for Interior Design Accreditation, the Council on Social Work Education, the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education, and the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant. The teacher education program is recognized and approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.

Presidents of Chatham University

Black, Reverend James 1870-1875
Strong, Reverend Thomas 1875-1878
Pelletreau, Helen E. 1878-1881 (Acting)
Pelletreau, Helen E. 1881-1894
DeVore, R. Jennie 1894-1900
Martin, Chalmers 1900-1903
Martin, Dr. Samuel 1903-1906
Lindsay, Henry Drennan 1906-1914
Acheson, Dr. John Carey 1915-1922
Coolidge, Cora Helen 1922-1933
Marks, Mary Helen 1933-1935 (Acting)
Spencer, Herbert Lincoln 1935-1945
Anderson, Dr. Paul Russell 1945-1960
Eddy, Dr. Edward 1960-1977
Arthurs, Dr. Alberta 1977-1982
Guthrie, Claire 1982-1983
Stafford, Dr. Rebecca 1983-1990
Brown, Louise 1991-1992
Barazzone, Dr. Esther 1992-2016
Finegold, Dr. David 2016-

History

1869 Founded as Pennsylvania Female College
1890 Renamed Pennsylvania College for Women
1955 Renamed Chatham College
2007 Designated Chatham University by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

Campus

Chatham University includes the Shadyside Campus, with the historic 39-acre Woodland Road arboretum and Chatham Eastside facility; and the 388-acre Eden Hall Campus north of Pittsburgh.