2019-2020 Course Catalog
Mission Related Course Requirements
The three primary themes of the University mission are Engagement and Responsibility, Sustainability and the Environment, and Global and International Understanding. The General Education program is designed to develop the skills and knowledge of these aspects of the mission. Students take a minimum of one 3-credit course from each of these mission-related areas. If a course is listed under two mission themes, it can only fulfill one theme course.
- Sustainability and the Environment (SEE)
- Students will articulate the impact that humans have on their environment and how this affects health and social justice issues.
- Students will describe sustainable processes and evaluate the impact of those processes on social, environmental, and/or economic systems.
- Global and International (GBL)
- Students will discuss global interdependence and local cultural values from multiple perspectives (e.g., social, economic, political, religious, and environmental).
- Students will assess global and local events, processes, trends, and/or issues and be able to place one's own culture in that context.
- Engagement and Responsibility (EGE)
- Students will describe constructions of race, class, gender, ethnicity, and beliefs as they apply to the topic(s) under study.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to advocate for their own positions through such strategies as attentiveness to the ideas and struggles of others, strong communication skills, and consensus.