Chatham University

Frequently Asked Questions

Chatham University Title IX

Where do I report an incident?
The Title IX Office. You can complete the online form to report an incident, email, or meet with the Title IX Coordinator or a Deputy Coordinator:

Can you guarantee confidentiality?
We are unable to guarantee confidentiality, but can ensure that information will only be shared on a need-to-know basis and will provide as much privacy as possible. All requests for confidentiality will be considered by the Title IX Coordinator.

Where can I go to report confidentially?
Chatham Counseling Services & Health Services are 100 percent confidential. Please note, we are unable to investigate and seek resolution if the complainant chooses to report to a confidential source. They will present you with options to report to Chatham Title IX, but the decision to do so will be yours. You can also complete the online form and choose to remain anonymous.

Do I have to press criminal charges if I report to Title IX at Chatham?
No. Pursuing legal action is up to the complainant. We will provide you with information to make the best decision for you.

When do I have to report?
We encourage everyone to report incidents of sexual misconduct as soon as possible. The Title IX Offices recognizes that each person’s situation is different, and we will listen to you whenever you are ready to report.

What is the difference between and informal and formal investigation?
Informal investigations can be utilized if the report or complaint does not include sexual assault or sexual violence. The informal process aims to resolve the complaint quickly and is typically conducted by the Coordinator or Deputy. Both the complainant and respondent will come to a mutual agreement regarding the report and/or sanctions. Both parties have the right to stop the informal process at any time and initiate a formal complaint.

A formal investigation involves the use of trained university investigators. This process generally takes 60 days or less from the start to finish of the investigation. Both parties have the right to appeal the end result.

Can I get academic or housing accommodations?
Yes. All members of the Chatham community have the right to feel safe on our campus. The Title IX Office can work with you to change your housing or arrange for academic support.

What if I was underage drinking when I was assaulted?
Chatham generally extends amnesty to students who report and to those who have also been underage drinking and who have witnessed the misconduct.

I am not sure if my situation is Title IX related. What is covered?
Title IX prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in education.  This includes, sex and gender-based harassment, sexual violence (rape, sexual assault, sexual battery, sexual coercion), relationship and interpersonal violence, and stalking. We recommend speaking with the Title IX Coordinator or a Deputy if you are unsure.

I am a faculty/staff member. Does the Policy apply to me if I've experienced any of the things listed in the previous paragraph?
Yes. Faculty and staff are also protected by Title IX. The Deputy Coordinator for Faculty & Staff typically oversees cases brought forward by faculty and staff, but you are free to report to the Coordinator or other Deputies. While the reporting and investigation processes are similar to those for students, there may be different remedial actions available to faculty and staff who've been subjected to Prohibited Conduct as defined in the Policy.