Chatham University

International Affairs

Immigration and Visas

The U.S. immigration process can be confusing. Below is help as you apply for your F-1 or J-1 student visa to come to study at Chatham University.

Visa Procedure

  • Apply for admission to Chatham University.
  • After Admission to Chatham and confirmation of finances, I-20 or DS-2019 is sent.
  • Contact closest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for visa appointment and instructions. You will need your I-20/DS 2019 and passport to make your visa appontment, Many embassies now require you to make an appointment online. You may check the visa wait times on the U.S. State Department website. You will need to pay your visa fee before your appointment.
  • Pay I-901/SEVIS fee.
  • Go to appointment with I-20 or DS-2019, Chatham admission letter, proof of payment of I-901 fee, financial documents and other documents the Embassy or Consulate requests. Please see the document "10 Points to Remember When Applying for a Nonimmigrant Visa
  • Return to embassy or consulate for visa
  • Arrive in U.S. no more than 30 days before start date on I-20 or DS-2019. (You must arrive before your start date) Please see welcome letter for earliest day you can arrive in campus housing.

Please click here for information for Canadian citizens. Canadian Landed Immigrants will follow the procedure above.

The Office of International Affairs is here to answer any questions you have about the visa process. Once you arrive there will be a workshop on maintaining your status as an F-1/J-1 student at Chatham University.

Immigration Information

Frequently Asked Questions