Physical Therapy (DPT) Faculty and Staff
Susan Perry PT, DPT, MS
Hometown : Gibsonia, PA
Joined Chatham : 1995
Academic Areas of Interest
Management of patients with neurologic conditions; Knowledge translation: moving research evidence into clinical practice
Personal Areas of Interest
Travel; historical fiction; cooking and gardening
- Doctor of Physical Therapy, Chatham College (Pittsburgh, PA) 2003
- MS, Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, Education emphasis, University of Pittsburgh (PIttsburgh, PA), 1989
- BS, Physical Therapy, S.U.N.Y. at Stony Brook (Stony Brook, NY), 1982
- Downey PD. Perry SB. Marchetti G. Thompson D. Use of a fracture prevention screening algorithm predicts self-reported falls in post-menopausal women. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice. Published online May 2018
- Perry SB. Billek-Sawhney B. Woollard J. Little S. Szalinski A. Balance and mobility improvements during inpatient rehabilitation are similar in young-old, mid-old, and old-old adults with traumatic brain injury. Accepted to Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation March 2018.
- Schreiber JS. Perry SB. Downey P. Williamson A. Knowledge Translation Outcomes Following Innovative Continuing Education. Journal of Physical Therapy Education. 2015;29:42-49.
- Perry SB. Zeleznik H. Breisinger TP. Supporting evidence-based behavior change in neurologic physical therapists: a case study in knowledge translation. Journal of Neurologic Physical Therapy. 2014;38:134-143.
- Perry SB. Woollard J. Little S. Shroyer K. Relationships among measures of balance, gait, and community integration in people with brain injury. Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation. March 2013 doi: 10.1097/HTR.0b013e3182864f2f
- Downey PA. Perry SB. Anderson J. Screening post-menopausal women for fracture and fall prevention. Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy. 2013;36:138-145.
- Perry SB. Downey PA. Fracture risk and prevention: a multi-dimensional approach. Phys Ther. 2012;92:164-178.
- Perry SB. Rauk R. McCarthy A. Milidonis M. Competency-Based Validation of Specialty Practice. JNPT 2008;32:62-69
- Downey P. Perry SB. Rehabilitation Approaches to the Prevention of Osteoporosis and Osteoporotic Fracture. Critical Reviews in Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine. 2007;19(1):55-77
- Perry SB. Constraints on Practice. Invited commentary. JNPT. 2007;31(1):10-11
- Perry SB. Marchetti GF. Wagner S. Wilton W. Predicting Caregiver Assistance Required for Sit-to-Stand Following Rehabilitation for Acute Stroke. JNPT. 2006;30(1):2-11
- Billek-Sawhney B. Perry SB. Coordination and Proprioception in Huber F. Wells CW., eds., Therapeutic Exercise, Philadelphia: Elsevier, 2006
- Rauk R. McCarthy A. Perry SB. Description of Specialty Practice in Neurologic Physical Therapy. APTA, 2005
- Perry SB. “Strategies for Teaching and Applying Clinical Decision – Making Skills in Entry – Level Neurologic Content”. Neurology Report.1999;23(4):170-7
- Perry SB. “Clinical Implications of a Dynamic Systems Theory”, Neurology Report.1998;22: 4-10
- Board certified neurologic specialist, American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties 1994-2014
- APTA Neurology Section Service to the Section Award 2014
- APTA Section on Education Distinguished Educator Award 2012
- Distinguished Alumni Award, School of Health Technology and Management, SUNY at Stony Brook, 1998
- Director of Education, Academy of Neurologic Physical Therapy, American Physical Therapy Association, 2018-2021
- Academy of Neurologic Physical Therapy, Co-chair, Compendium of Neurologic Entry-Level Teaching Resources, 2nd ed. 2016
- Vice President of the Neurology Section, American Physical Therapy Association, 2006-2012
- Member of the Neurologic Specialty Council, American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties, 2000-2004
- Manuscript Reviewer, Journal of Neurologic Physical Therapy, August 1995-present
- Romney W. Moore J. Tilson J. Perry SB. Deutsch JE. Zeleznik H. Implementing Meaningful Projects to Enhance EBP in Your Clinic. Educational Session, APTA Combined Sections Meeting, Washington, DC January 2019
- Romney W. Deutsch J. Perry SB. Salbach N. Does evidence based practice confidence and behavior change throughout the entry level physical therapy curriculum? A longitudinal study. Poster Presentation for APTA’s Combined Sections Meeting, New Orleans, February 2018
- Romney W. Salbach N. Perry SB. Deutsch J. Evidence based practice confidence upon entry to physical therapy school is related to previous research-related experience. Poster Presentation. World Confederation of Physical Therapy Congress, Singapore, May 2015
- Perry SB. Zeleznik H. Breisinger TP. Supporting evidence-based behavior change in neurologic physical therapists: a case report, Poster Presentation, APTA Combined Sections Meeting, San Diego, January 2013
- Jameson S. Schafer DS. Perry SB. DPT Students’ Self-Assessment of Administration and Management Skills as Compared to a 2007 Study, Poster Presentation, PPTA Annual Meeting, Lancaster, PA October 2012
- Perry SB. Little S. Sit-to-stand Phase Failure in Three Subjects with Acute Traumatic Brain Injury, Poster Presentation , APTA Combined Sections Meeting, San Diego, February 2010