Deborah DeLong, Ph.D.
Hometown: Annandale, VA
Joined Chatham: 2006
ACADEMIC AREAS OF INTEREST
Sustainable Business Strategy, Employee Engagement, Marketing Education
PERSONAL AREAS OF INTEREST
Sailing, Running, Book Club
Dr. DeLong joined the faculty of the Department of Business and Entrepreneurship at Chatham University in 2006. She teaches a variety of marketing, management and sustainability courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Prior to Chatham, Dr. DeLong was a Clinical Professor of Marketing at Tulane University. Prior to academia, Debbie led marketing research and business analytics efforts for Entergy Corporation across residential, commercial and industrial markets. She directed competitive analysis and marketing research programs for clients in insurance, automotive, healthcare, technology, banking and other industries at the advertising/PR firm Bozell Worldwide. Debbie consults extensively in corporate employee engagement, business sustainability, and marketing strategy efforts. She is an active member of the Pittsburgh professional chapter and national collegiate division of the American Marketing Association. She founded and advises the award-winning Chatham Marketing Association. Dr. DeLong's primary research interests are sustainable business practices, branding strategy, and employee engagement. She presents her research at numerous professional and academic conferences and has published in Journal of Applied Psychology, Marketing Management Journal, Journal of Education for Business, Journal of Marketing Education, and other outlets.
- Ph.D. Industrial/Organizational Psychology. University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE., 1999
- M.A. Industrial/Organizational Psychology. University of Nebraska, Omaha, NE., 1994
- B.A. Psychology. Vassar College. Poughkeepsie, NY., 1986
- 2022, Lifetime Achievement Award, American Marketing Association
- 2020 Best Paper Award, MMA Fall Educators Conference
- 2017-18, 2011-12, 2009-10, Chatham Student Organization Advisor of the Year, Chatham University
- 2016 Cengage Best Paper Award, MMA Fall Educators Conference
- 2014-15 Buhl Professorship, Chatham University
- 2013 Distinguished Educator of the Year, Pittsburgh American Marketing Association
- 2010 Hugo G. Wales award for Outstanding Collegiate AMA Faculty Advisor
- Pittsburgh Tribune Newsmaker - May 18, 2010
- 2009-10 Chatham Student Organization Advisor of the Year
- Sustainability in Practice (10/22). Invited panelist for CEOs for Sustainability C-Suite Summit event hosted by Sustainable Pittsburgh, DMI Companies and Carnegie Mellon University.
- DeLong, D. & Chatham University Business Undergraduate Capstone Program (Fall, 2021). CEOs for Sustainability: Leading Forward mini-case series. Pittsburgh, PA: Sustainable Pittsburgh.
- Beal, P., Hays, C., & DeLong, D. (2020). Effective peer-to-peer (P2P) fundraising with Generation Z and Millennials. Pittsburgh American Marketing Association 2019-20 Marketing Strategy Case Competition: United Way of Southwestern Pennsylvania (UWSWPA). Pittsburgh, PA: The American Marketing Association.
- Walking the Sustainability Talk (8/20). Invited plenary to Evoqua Water Technologies management and staff on behalf of the Pittsburgh AMA Visiting Professor’s Program.
- DeLong, D. (2018A). Employee engagement in sustainability. In G. Johnson (Ed.) Materials and Resources Guide in SWPA. Pittsburgh, PA: Sustainable Pittsburgh.
- DeLong, D (2018B). “Meds After Peds”: Bridging the Health Care Gap between Pediatrics and Adulthood. Pittsburgh American Marketing Association 2017-18 Marketing Strategy Case Competition: MedExpress. Pittsburgh, PA: The American Marketing Association.
- Highmark & Chatham University: Employee Engagement in Sustainability Topline Results (10/18). Invited presenter at the Materials and Resource Management Summit, hosted by Sustainable Pittsburgh.
- Rhodes, K., & DeLong, D. (2016). American Marketing Association 2016-17 Collegiate Case Competition: eBay. Chicago, IL: The American Marketing Association.
- Schibrowsky, J. & DeLong, D. (2014). American Marketing Association 2014-15 Collegiate Case Competition: Glacéau’s vitaminwater. Chicago, IL: The American Marketing Association.
- President, Marketing Management Association, 2022-2023
- President, Collegiate Chapters Council, American Marketing Association, 2017-2018
- Board, Marketing Management Association, 2016-present
- Steering Committee, Sustainable Pittsburgh Pros, 2014-present
- Collegiate Chapters Council, American Marketing Association, 2014-2020
- DeLong, D. (2011). Marketing sustainability to late adopters. Fordham University: Conference on Positive Marketing Proceedings, 8-14.
- DeLong, D. (2012). Propensity toward unintentional plagiarism. Global Education, 4, 137-155.
- DeLong, D., & Mehalik, M. (2013). Opportunities and obstacles on the path to business sustainability. American Journal of Management, 13(3), 98-112.
- DeLong, D. & McDermott, M. (2013). Current perceptions, prominence & prevalence of sustainability in the marketing curriculum. Marketing Management Journal, 23(2), 101-116.
- DeLong, D., & Elbeck, M. (2017). An exploratory study of the influence of soft and hard skills on entry-level marketing position interviews. Marketing Education Review, 28(3), 159-169.
- DeLong, D., & Elbeck, M. (2018). Exploring the Effect of Personality Factors on Entry Level Marketing Interview Performance. Marketing Management Association Fall Educators Conference Proceedings, 1-7.
- DeLong, D & Vander Schee, BA (2021) Transitioning to remote teams in principles of marketing: An exploratory psychometric assessment of team role effects on face-to-face and online team performance. Journal of Education for Business, 97(6), 357-364.
- Vander Schee, BA & D. DeLong (in press). Adding Value to the Academic Conference Experience for Marketing Doctoral Students. Journal for Advancement of Marketing Education.
- Vander Schee, BA & D. DeLong (Sept, 2022). Conferencing for the Next Generation: What do Marketing Doctoral Students Expect from Academic Conferences? Paper presented at the 22nd Marketing Management Association Fall Conference (San Antonio, TX).
- DeLong, D. (3/22). Leading Forward Mini-Case Series: DEI in Practice. Paper presented at the Marketing Management Association Spring Conference (St Louis, MO).
- Vander Schee, BA & D. DeLong (Oct, 2021). Gathering in place: Marketing educator motivations to participate in virtual and in-person professional meetings. Paper presented at the 21st Marketing Management Association Fall Conference (virtual).
- CJ Shultz & D. DeLong (July, 2021). Social Conflict and Market Dynamics: The Case for Meta-Analysis. Paper presented at the 46th Macromarketing Conference (virtual).
- DeLong, D. & Vander Schee, B (Oct, 2020). Team role clarification: Improving student group project performance in principles of marketing. Paper presented at the Marketing Management Association: A Virtual Experience conference (virtual).
- DeLong, D., & Whitney, M. (Oct, 2018). Campus sustainability: A longitudinal analysis of motivation for change. Paper presented at the biennial meeting of the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) (Pittsburgh, PA).
- DeLong, D., & Macagno, T. (July, 2018). Maximizing Quality of Life Spillover Effects. Paper presented at the 43rd Macromarketing Conference (Leipzig, Germany).
- DeLong, D. & Macagno, T. (June, 2018). Sustainability behavior change in a corporate setting. Paper presented at the University of South Florida Social Marketing Conference (Clearwater, FL).
- Macagno, T. & DeLong, D. (June, 2018). Corporate sustainability role in employees’ psychological contract and engagement. Paper presented at the 3rd International Symposium on Meaningful Work (Amsterdam, NL).
- DeLong, D., & Macagno, T. (July, 2016). Organizational diffusion of sustainability strategies. Paper presented at the 41st Macromarketing Conference (Dublin, Ireland).
- DeLong, D. (March, 2009). A comparative analysis of plagiarism determinants. Paper presented at the 60th annual Convention of the Conference on College Composition and Communication (San Francisco, CA).
- Craiger, J.P., Weiss, R.J., Butler, A., Goodman, D.F., & Dutcher, J. (1996). Navy Quality of Life: A comparison of latent variable models for rank and station subgroups. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Society for Industrial Organizational Psychology, San Diego, CA
- DeLong, D. & Gift, N. (November, 2008). The Price of Reduction: A Comparative Analysis of the Cost-Benefit Perceptions of Reduction Initiatives. Paper presented at the second biennial meeting of the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE), Raleigh, NC
- DeLong, D. (Nov, 2011). Marketing sustainability to late adopters. Paper presented at the annual Conference on Positive Marketing at Fordham University (New York, NY).
- Conway, J.M., Jako, R.A., & Goodman, D.F. (1994). A meta-analysis of moderators of selection interview reliability. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Society of Industrial Organizational Psychology, Nashville, TN