Christopher O'Brien, Ph.D.
Hometown: Monroe, NY
Joined Chatham: 2016
ACADEMIC AREAS OF INTEREST
Developmental Psychopathology, Bullying, Victimization, Callous and Unemotional Traits, Peer Relationships, and Aggression.
PERSONAL AREAS OF INTEREST
Running, College Football, Music, and Reading
Christopher O'Brien received his Ph.D. in Developmental Psychology from the University of Alabama. Previous courses taught include Abnormal Psychology, Adolescent Development, Child Development, Introductory Psychology, Statistical Methods, and Research Methodology.His passion for psychology grew while serving as a research intern for the Mobile Youth Survey, which examined children from 10 to 18 years old at risk for poverty, racial segregation, and substance use.
- Ph.D., University of Alabama, 2014
- MA, University of Alabama, 2012
- BA, State University of New York at Oswego, 2008
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Society for Research in Adolescence
- Pierucci, J.M., O’Brien, C.T., McInnis, M.A., Gilpin, A.T., & Barber, A.B. (2013). Fantasy orientation constructs and related executive function development in preschool: Developmental benefits to executive functions by being a fantasy-oriented child. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 37, 1-8.
- McDonald, K.L., Benish-Weisman, M., O’Brien, C.T., & Ungvary. S. (2015). The social values of aggressive-prosocial youth. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 44 (12), 2245-2256.
Dautovich, N.D., Schreiber, D.R., Imel, J.L., Tighe, C.A., Shoji, K.D., Cyrus, J., Bryant, N., Lisech, A., and O'Brien, C. T. (2019). A systematic review of the amount and timing of light in association with objective and subjective sleep outcomes in community-dwelling adults. Sleep Health, 5(1), 31-48.
- O’Brien, C.T., McDonald, K., & Lochman, J. (2016, March). Callous-unemotional traits and peer relationship characteristics among aggressive children over the transition to middle school. Poster presented at the biannual meeting of the Society for Research on Adolescence. Baltimore, Maryland.
- O’Brien, C.T., McDonald, K., & Lochman, J. (2014, March). Are psychopathic traits related to leadership in adolescents? Poster presented at the biannual meeting of the Society for Research on Adolescence. Austin, Texas.
- O’Brien, C.T., McDonald, K., & Benish-Weisman, M. (2013, April). Conflicted values?: The social motivations of aggressive-prosocial youth. Paper presented at the biannual meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development. Seattle, Washington.