2023-2024 Course Catalog
BSN to DNP (BSN-DNP)
- Completed free online application.
- Copy of official transcripts of all completed college level coursework from all schools attended with proof of completion of an BSN degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Current résumé/curriculum vitae
- Copy of current valid RN license
- Admissions Essay: Describe a clinical problem in your practice setting that you could impact as a nurse executive using evidence-based intervention(s) and explain why it is a problem warranting change to impact patient and/or organizational outcomes.
- Interviews may be requested (to be held in person, over the phone, or via Zoom)
- Two professional letters of reference
Admissions Materials may be submitted to:
Pittsburgh, PA 15232
International Applicants must submit additional documentation to the Office of Admissions. A list of these documents can be found on the International Admission web page.
MSN Program Outcomes
- Integrate scientific findings from nursing and other fields for continual improvement of nursing care.
- Synthesize organizational and systems leadership principles to promote high quality and safe patient care.
- Implement methods and tools of QI principles to promote high quality and safe patient care.
- Critique EB literature with a basic understanding of quantitative and qualitative research to guide decision-making.
- Analyze current and emerging trends and technologies to support quality health care.
- Analyze and synthesize innovative approaches to complex issues in health care delivery at the local, state and national level based on understanding of health policy and principles of advocacy.
- Construct effective communication strategies for working effectively in teams and collaboratively with other health care providers.
- Design evidence-based and culturally relevant clinical prevention interventions.
- Conduct a comprehensive and systematic assessment as a basis for decision-making.
- Obtain expertise in the role of educator, informatics and leadership.
DNP Program Outcomes
- Apply interprofessional collaboration concepts for improving patient and population health outcomes.
- Synthesize nursing research and integration of best practice for change in professional practice based on scientific underpinnings for practice.
- Integrates clinical scholarship and analytical methods for evidence-based practice.
- Impact health care outcomes through clinical prevention and population health for improving the nation's health.
- Integrate nursing science as the basis for the highest level of nursing practice.
- Develop and evaluates new practice approaches based on nursing theory and theories borrowed from other disciplines.
- Provide clinical nursing change through organizational and systems leadership for quality improvement and systems thinking.
- Utilize information systems/technology and patient care technology to improve and transform health care.
- Integrate health policy and ethics to improve health care outcomes through advocacy roles.
NUR501 Scientific Underpinnings: Practice and Scholarship
This course examines disciplinary knowledge and scholarship for innovation in practice, guidance with clinical judgement, and transformation of healthcare. Principles of research, evidence-based practice, and theory will be incorporated to assist with generation, translation, application and integration of scholarship into nursing practice.
3 NUR504 Introduction to Organizational Leadership in Nursing
Emphasizing leadership decision making, this course includes an overview of theories, research, and applications that focus on managing organizational behavior, quality improvement, and systems leadership across health care delivery systems. Students will learn how patient care systems are structured, processes developed, and outcomes affected by actions of leaders and employees.
3 NUR505 Health Assessment and Promotion Across the Lifespan
This course provides an exploration of key concepts in pathophysiology, physical assessment, and pharmacotherapy across the lifespan for the masters prepared nurse. Cultural and genetic influences of health will be analyzed and applied for health promotion, person-centered care, and population health.
3 NUR703 Population Health, Ethics, and Health Policy
This course focuses on population health, ethical issues, and public policy in healthcare. Students apply strategies to manage ethical dilemmas, expand advocacy beyond the patient to include the community, and analyze health policy to educate and lead change to promote population health.
3 NUR706 Advanced Nursing Leadership in Healthcare Systems
This course focuses on leadership, complex systems, decision-making and managing change. Theories and their application to complex systems are analyzed. Emphasis is placed on impacting performance, communication, interprofessional collaboration, and culture across the healthcare continuum and in times of crisis while promoting equitable, innovative, safe, and costeffective care.
3 NUR707 Technology and Informatics for Advanced Practice Nursing
This course focuses on the advanced practice nurse’s role in understanding and using information technology to promote safe, quality, and ethical care delivery across the healthcare continuum. Use of technology and data analysis to inform decision-making, lead inter-professional teams, and communicate with patients will also be explored.
3 NUR630 Business Management in Health Care
This course focuses on healthcare finance, budgeting, and business concepts needed to prepare the nurse leader to function in a variety of healthcare settings.
3 NUR640 Human Resource Management in Health Care
This course focuses on current practices in human resources that directly impact nurse leaders. Topics will include staffing needs, labor laws, recruitment, hiring, and retention; onboarding practices, staff development, conflict resolution, relationship management, diversity, managing a multigenerational workforce, and business ethics.
3 NUR650 Leadership for Quality and Safety in Health Care
This course builds on the foundations of management, leadership, and business theory. Emphasis will be placed on quality and safety, performance improvement, and strategic management strategies for leading complex healthcare organizations, especially during times of change or crisis, while ensuring equitable quality care.
3 NUR700 Structure and Application in Nursing Knowledge
This course introduces the advanced practice nurse to contemporary nursing knowledge, as formalized through concepts, theories and frameworks guiding clinical practice. There is also emphasis on the development and structure of knowledge.
3 NUR702 Developing Evidence-Based Practice
This course prepares students with the skills and competencies needed to assimilate knowledge for scholarly work. Emphasis is focused on the identification of a clinical problem and finding the best evidence for an intervention from established research studies to support a practice change project.
3 NUR704 Translating Evidence to Advance Best Practice
This course focuses on translating evidence to improve practice and promote optimal patient-centered outcomes. Emphasis is placed on responsible, safe, and ethical decisionmaking to lead and plan evidence-based system change for diverse populations while collaborating with interprofessional teams. Human subject protection will also be explored.
Pre-requisites Complete any 2 of the following courses:
- NUR700 Structure & App of Contemporary Nursing Knowledge
- NUR700 Structure and Application in Nursing Knowledge
- NUR702 Developing Evidence-Based Practice
3 NUR705 : Financial Management and Dissemination of Evidence-Based Practice
This course explores foundational elements of financial management and dissemination of evidence-based practice for nurses in advanced practice roles. Emphasis will be placed on building business acumen for systems-based care and advancing nursing scholarship to promote a culture of quality and safety to enhance nursing practice and transform healthcare.
Pre-requisites Complete the following course:
- NUR707 Information Technology and Data-Driven Decision Making
3 NUR799 Implementing and Evaluating Evidence-Based Practice
This course provides an opportunity for the advanced practice nurse leader to implement, evaluate and disseminate a planned evidence-based practice project using the knowledge and competencies acquired throughout the program. The impact on healthcare delivery systems, health policy, and patient-centered outcomes for diverse populations are also explored.
Pre-requisites Complete any 1 of the following courses:
- NUR707 Information Technology and Data-Driven Decision Making
- NUR707 Technology and Informatics for Advanced Practice Nursing