The Business of Child Care
The Business of Child Care is an entrepreneurial training program for startup and existing child care providers located within the City of Pittsburgh, facilitated by the Center for Women's Entrepreneurship at Chatham University (CWE) in partnership with the Urban Redevelopment Authority of Pittsburgh (URA) and Invest PGH. Financial support provided by the PNC Foundation.
Through an application process, up to 12 startup and 12 existing child care providers located within the City of Pittsburgh will receive admission to The Business of Child Care, an intensive 10-week training program to launch or expand child care businesses. Startup and existing child care providers will participate in separate cohorts within the program.The Business of Child Care participants receive:
- Tailored Child Care Curriculum
- One-on-one Coaching
- Entrepreneurial Education & Training through CWE
- One-year membership to CWE for immersive networking opportunities.
- Access an additional $5,000 in funds through the Child Care Reinvestment in Business Program (CRiB) Forgivable Loan offered by Invest PGH.
- Located within the City of Pittsburgh Map
- Aspires to become a full-time child care provider
- Actively seeking to grow a child care business
- For-Profit and Nonprofit organizations
- An entrepreneur who owns a majority stake in a child care business and is actively involved in the business's day-to-day operations.
- Willing to complete the 10-week training program
- Willing to complete interim and final program surveys
Upon completing the program, participants will be awarded a "Certification of Completion" and will be eligible to apply for an additional $5,000 forgivable loan under the Child Care Reinvestment in Business Program (CRiB) offered by Invest PGH. CRiB funds can be used for working capital, payroll (including supplemental income), staff education, enrollment scholarships, equipment, software, supplies, and leasehold improvements. Learn more about CRiBThe Business of Child Care Program Timeline:
- August 11, 2021: Applications Open.
- September 1, 2021: Applications Close.
- September 10, 2021: The Business of Child Care Cohorts Finalized & Notified.
- September 21, 2021: First Session for The Business of Child Care Start-up Program.
- September 23, 2021: First Session for The Business of Child Care Existing Program.
Selected applicants will participate in ten training sessions over twelve weeks. Three sessions will be in-person and seven sessions online via Zoom.
Required: Zoom capable device and internet access to participate.
- To view the syllabus for the Business of Child Care Start-up Program: Click Here.
The Business of Child Care Existing Program will run on Thursday evenings from 6:00-8:00 PM from September 23 to December 9. In-person sessions will be on September 23, November 4, and December 9. There will be no class October 28 and November 25.
- To view the syllabus for the Business of Child Care Existing Program: Click Here.
This program will be offering again in Spring 2022 (Feb/March).
The Business of Child Care program is funded with the support of The PNC Foundation.
Questions: Contact: Womens-Entrepreneurship@Chatham.edu or call 412-365-1253