Ryan Utz, Ph.D.
Hometown: Gibsonia, PA
Joined Chatham: 2015
ACADEMIC AREAS OF INTEREST
Urban stream ecology, restoration ecology, salmonid life history and bioenergetics, fisheries science, dedacal-scale physicochemical changes in stream ecosystems
PERSONAL AREAS OF INTEREST
Backpacking, botany, hard cider brewing, photography, and fly-fishing.
Dr. Ryan Utz is an aquatic ecologist who focuses on urban streams, salmonids, ecological restoration, and detecting environmental trends at broad spatio-temporal scales. Prior to joining Chatham, Dr. Utz served for four years as an aquatic ecologist at the National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON). Past research projects have included an assessment of river enhancement to improve habitat for Chinook salmon in California's Central Valley, comparing how effects of urbanization on streams differ between ecoregions of Maryland, and exploring bioenergetic patterns of brook trout in West Virginia. Northern Ireland and has lived with his family in Europe, Africa and Asia before coming to the USA.
- Ph.D., University of Maryland (College Park, MD), 2010
- M.Sc., West Virginia University (Morgantown, WV), 2005
- B.S., University of Miami (Miami, FL), 2003
- Link, A.F., Johnson, L. and R.M. Utz. In press. To manage or not? Successful native tree seedling restoration despite a dense, invasive shrub, Berberis thunbergii. Plant Ecology
- Corrêa, E.C., de Oliveira Roque, F., Utz, R.M., Silva, W.M., Severo-Neto, F., and K. Gido. 2019. Effects of macroconsumers on benthic communities across a gradient of land use in karst Neotropical streams. Hydrobiologia 836: 21-34.
- Kaushal, S.S., Likens, G.E., Pace, M.L., Haq, S., Wood, K.L., Gallela, J., Morel, C., Doody, T.R., Wessel, B., Kortelainen, P., Raike, A., Skinner†, V., Utz, R., and N. Jaworski. 2019. Novel 'chemical cocktails' in inland waters are a consequence of the Freshwater Salinization Syndrome. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 374: 20180017.
- Corrêa, E.C., F.L. de Oliveira Roque, Utz, R.M., Correa, J.S., de Souza, F.L., and A.P. Covich. 2018. Effects of macroconsumers on benthic communities: rapid increases in dry-season accrual of calcium in a tropical karst stream. PLoS ONE 13: e0209102.
- Link, A.F., Turnblacer, T., Snyder, C. K., Daugherty, S.E., and R.M. Utz. 2018. Low recruitment of native trees in a deciduous forest associated with Japanese barberry (Berberis thunbergii DC) invasion. Invasive Plant Science and Management 11: 1-7.
- Kaushal, S.S., Likens, G., Pace, M., Utz, R., Haq, S., Gorman, G., and M. Grese. 2018. The freshwater salinization syndrome on a continental scale. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 115: E574-E583.
- Utz, R.M., Pearce, T.A., Lewis, D.L., and J.C. Mannino. 2018. Elevated native terrestrial snail abundance and diversity in association with an invasive understory shrub, Berberis thunbergii, in a North American deciduous forest. Acta Oecologia 86: 66-71.
- Utz, R.M., Cooper, S.D., Gido, K.B., and J. Stewart. 2017. Exclusion of fish and invertebrates from benthic patches across water conductivity levels using high-frequency (10 Hz) pulses and adjustable electrical settings. Freshwater Science 36: 151-161.
- Utz, R. M., Hopkins, K., Beesley, L., Booth, D.B., Hawley, R.J., Baker, M., Freeman, M.C., and K.L. Jones. 2016. Ecological resistance in urban streams: the role of natural and legacy attributes. Freshwater Science 35: 380-397.
- Smith, R., Hawley, R., Neile, M., Vietz, G., Diaz-Pascacio, E., Hermann, J., Lovell, A., Prescott, C., Rios-Tourma, B., Smith, B., and R. Utz. 2016. Urban stream renovation: incorporating societal objectives to achieve ecological improvements. Freshwater Science 35: 364-379.
- Hilderbrand, R.H. and R.M. Utz. 2015. Ecological thresholds and resilience in streams. Pages 461-478 in: Rowinski, P.M. and A. Radecki-Pawlik. Rivers: physical, fluvial, and environmental processes. Springer, New York.
- Pennino, M.J., Kaushal, S.S., Mayer, P.M., Utz, R., and C.A. Cooper. 2016. Stream restoration and sanitary infrastructure alter sources and fluxes of water, carbon, and nitrogen in urban watersheds. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences. 20: 3419-3439.
- Utz, R.M. 2014. Are we overlooking landscape-scale threats to common freshwater fishes? Fisheries 39: 294-297.
- Goring, S.J., Weathers, K.C., Dodds, W.K., Sorrano, P.A., Sweet, L.C., Cheruvelli, K.S., Kominoski, J.S., Ruegg, J., Thorn, A.M., and R.M. Utz. 2014. The collaborative culture of macrosystems ecology: optimizing participant benefits. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 12: 39-47.
- Hafs, A.W., Harrison, L.R., Utz, R.M. and T. Dunne. 2014. Quantifying the role of woody debris in providing bioenergetically favorable habitat for juvenile salmon. Ecological Modelling 285: 30-38.
- McManamay, R.A. and R.M. Utz. 2014. Open-access databases as unprecedented resources and drivers of cultural change in fisheries science. Fisheries 39: 417-425.
- Utz, R.M. and M. Denslow. 2014. Noteworthy collections: Colorado. Madroño 61: 251. [First reported occurrence of wild Muscari neglectum (Hyacinthaceae) in Colorado].
- Kaushal, S.S., Likens, G.E., Utz, R.M., Pace, M.L., Grese, M., and M. Yepsen. 2013. Increased river alkalization in the Eastern U.S. Environmental Science and Technology 47: 10302-10311.
- Utz, R.M., Fitzgerald, M.R., Goodman, K.J., Parker, S.M., Powell, H. and C.L. Roehm. 2013. The National Ecological Observatory Network: an observatory poised to expand spatiotemporal scales of inquiry in aquatic and fisheries science. Fisheries 38: 26-35.
- Utz, R.M., Mesick, C.F., Cardinale, B.J., and T. Dunne. 2013. How does gravel augmentation impact early-stage Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) embryonic survivorship? Journal of Fish Biology 82: 1484-1496.
- Koskelo, A.I., Fisher, T.R., Utz, R.M., and T.E. Jordan. 2012. A new, precipitation-based method of baseflow separation and event identification for small watersheds (<50 km2). Journal of Hydrology 450-451: 267-278.
- Utz, R.M., Zeug, S.C. and B.J. Cardinale. 2012. Growth and diet of juvenile Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) in restored habitat of a California river. Fisheries Management and Ecology 19: 375-388.
- Utz, R.M., Zeug, S.C., Cardinale, B.J., and L.K. Albertson. 2012. Trophic ecology and population attributes of two resident non-game fishes in riverine habitat engineered to enhance salmon spawning success. California Fish and Game 98: 104-124.
- Utz, R.M. and R.H. Hilderbrand. 2011. Interregional variation in urbanization-induced geomorphic change and macroinvertebrate habitat colonization in headwater streams. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 30: 25-37.
- Utz, R.M., Eshelman, K.N. and R.H. Hilderbrand. 2011. Variation in physicochemical responses to urbanization between two Mid-Atlantic physiographic regions. Ecological Applications 21: 402-415.
- Hilderbrand, R.H., Utz, R.M., Stranko, S.A., and R.L. Raesly. 2010. Applying ecological thresholds to forecast biodiversity loss from human development. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 29: 1009-1016.
- Utz, R.M., Hilderbrand, R.H., and R.L. Raesly. 2010. Regional differences in patterns of fish species loss with changing land use. Biological Conservation 143: 688-699.
- Utz, R.M., and K.J. Hartman. 2009. Density-dependent individual growth and size dynamics of central Appalachian brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 66: 1072-1080.
- Utz, R.M., Hilderbrand, R.H., and D.M. Boward. 2009. Identifying regional differences in threshold responses of aquatic invertebrates to land cover gradients. Ecological Indicators 9: 556-567.
- Utz, R.M., and K.J. Hartman. 2007. Identification of critical prey items to Appalachian brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) with emphasis on terrestrial organisms. Hydrobiologia 575: 259-270.
- Utz, R.M., Ratcliffe, B.R., Moore, B.T., and K.J. Hartman. 2007. Disproportionate relative importance of a terrestrial beetle family (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae) as a prey source for central Appalachian brook trout. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 136: 177-184.
- Utz, R.M., and K.J. Hartman. 2006. Temporal and spatial variation in the energy intake of a brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) population in an Appalachian watershed. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 63: 2675-2686.