Melissa Gett, OTD, OTR/L
Hometown: Creekside, PA
Joined Chatham: 2021
Dr. Gett graduated from Utica College of Syracuse University, where she received her Bachelor of Science degree in Occupational Therapy and her Doctor of Occupational Therapy from Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions. She worked for over 24 years in the occupational therapy field in various practice settings, including acute care, subacute care, home health care, home-based and outpatient pediatric services, outpatient rehabilitation with emphasis on hand rehabilitation, and rehabilitation manager. She served as an adjunct therapist for two years in an occupational therapy master’s program prior to coming to Chatham University. She has clinical and research interests in animal-assisted therapy, hand and upper extremity rehabilitation, and interprofessional collaboration. She has presented locally on health literacy during client interactions and intervention to promote well-being and health management. She is a member of the Pennsylvania Occupational Therapy Association’s Conference Team. Dr. Gett is married and has three children and one grandson. She enjoys spending time with family and with her pets, camping, traveling, baking, and has a span of musical interests.
ACADEMIC AREAS OF INTEREST
Evidence-based practice, Acute care practice, Biomechanics for orthopedic and hand rehabilitation, Neurologic intervention, animal-assisted intervention, interprofessional education, and adult learning/health literacy
PERSONAL AREAS OF INTEREST
Spending time with family and with her pets, camping, traveling, baking, and has a span of musical interests
- Doctor of Occupational Therapy, Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions, 2019
- Bachelor of Science in Occupational Therapy, Utica College of Syracuse University, 1997
- Member, American Occupational Therapy Association
- Member, Pennsylvania Occupational Therapy Association
- Member, Association of Animal-Assisted Intervention Professionals
- American Society of Hand Therapists
- National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy, Inc. (Initial certification 1998)
- Gett, M. & Schreiber, J. (2022, October 1). Health literacy in OT: Do you know what I mean? Professional Presentation, Pennsylvania Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference.
- Gett, M. & Novalis S. (2021, October 22). Collaboration on systematic review: Transition from clinician to academician. 2021 AOTA Education Summit.
- Gett, M. (2020, October 11). A pawsitive touch on care: Therapy dogs in transitional care settings. Professional Presentation, Pennsylvania Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference, Virtual.